MAE (Kunstkamera), RAS, St. Petersburg, Russia
The MAE RAS Khiwan Collections of A. N. Samoilovich
Abstract. The expedition of academician Alexander Nikolaevich Samoylovich (1880—1938) to the Khanate of Khiwa in 1908 have been one of the most significant trips of Peter the Great's Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera). A. N. Samoylovich's activity on gathering ethnographic material has enriched the MAE item and photo collections related to the life of Khiwan population, the Uzbeks and the Turkmen. Unfortunately, little is known about the expedition itself, its organisation, its route, and the circumstances under which the field materials were collected. The Museum collections, together with the published works of the academician, helped reveal another facet of his talent — as ethnographer and collector. A. N. Samoylovich's Museum collections represent original material, which will allow to reconstruct the cultural situation in the Khanate of Khiwa of the beginning of the 20th century.
Keywords: collections, expedition, photography, travel, orientalist, Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography, Central Asia, Turkmen, Uzbeks, Khiwa
- “Izvlechenie iz protokolov zasedanіj Russkago Komiteta dlja izuchenіja Srednej i Vostochnoj Azіi v istoricheskom, arheologicheskom, lingvisticheskom i jetnograficheskom otnoshenіjah” [“Abstracts from the protocols of the records of the Russian Committee for the Study of Central and East Asia in relation to history, archaeology, linguistics, and ethnography”] (1909), Izvestija Russkogo Komiteta dlja izuchenija Srednej i Vostochnoj Asiii v istoricheskom, arheologicheskom, lingvisticheskom i jetnograficheskom otnoshenii, No. 9, pp. 4—5.
- Perepelicyna, L. A. (1959), Uzbekskij narodnyj kukol'nyj teatr [Uzbek Folk Puppet Theatre], Tashkent: Goslitizdat UzSSR.
- Prischepova, V. A. (2000), Kollekcii zagovorili [The Collections are Speaking], St. Petersburg: MAE RAN.
- Samoylovich, A. N. (1909a), “Kratkij otchjot o poezdke v Tashkent i Buharu i v Hivinskoe hanstvo, komandirovannogo Sankt‑Peterburgskim universitetom i Russkim Komitetom privat‑docenta A. N. Samojlovicha v 1908 g.” [“A brief report on the trip to Tashkent, Bukhara and the Khanate of Khiwa undertaken by privat‑docent A. N. Samoylovich, seconded by St. Petersburg University and the Russian Committee in 1908], Izvestija Russkogo Komiteta dlja izuchenija Srednej i Vostochnoj Asiii v istoricheskom, arheologicheskom, lingvisticheskom i jetnograficheskom otnoshenii, No. 9, pp. 15—29.
- Samoylovich, A. N. (1909b), “Turkmenskie razvlechenija” [“Turkmen entertainments”], Ezhegodnik Russkogo antropologicheskogo obschestva pri Sankt‑Peterburgskom universitete, St. Petersburg, vol. 3.
- Yanes, M. (2008), “Women's nose jewellery from Central Asia in the collections of MAE RAS (on the issue of the origin and functional role)”, Manuscripta Orientalia, vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 63—68.
Received by the Editorial Board: 11.05.2020