Universität Wien, Wien, Austria
THE PERSIAN DICTIONARY SORME-YE SOLEYMANI (EARLY 11TH/17TH CENTURY) AND ITS MANUSCRIPT IN THE LIBRARY OF THE ORIENTAL FACULTY OF ST. PETERSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (MS.O 174)
Abstract.This article aims to study the manuscript of the Persian dictionary Sorme-ye Soleymani(“The Kohl of Soleyman”) from the collection of the library of St. Petersburg State University (MS.O 174), which is the only known manuscript containing the full text of dictionary. In other available manuscripts of this dictionary, the prologue and epilogue of the text are missing. The importance of this manuscript is inclusion of the date of the dictionary's composition as a chronogram in the epilogue. In addition to an analysis of the beginning and ending pages of the text, a critical edition of the prologue and epilogue of this manuscript is provided in the appendices.
Keywords:Persian manuscripts, Persian lexicography, Sorme-ye Soleymani, Awhadi Balyani, Oriental Faculty of St. Petersburg State University
Acknowledgements.For their kind support and helpful remarks during my visits to St. Petersburg and studying the manuscript, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Dr. Milana A. Azarkina (St. Petersburg State University), Dr. Olga M. Yastrebova (Russian National Library and St. Petersburg State University), and Ekaterina A. Bolashenkova (St. Petersburg State University). I am also grateful to Prof. Ali Ashraf Sadeghi (Academy of Persian Language and Literature, Tehran), Dr. Ahmad Reza Qaemmaqami (University of Tehran), Ali Safari Aq-Qal‘e (Written Heritage Research Institute, Tehran), and Mas‘ud Rastipour (Written Heritage Research Institute, Tehran) for their important comments and suggestions on my edition of the prologue and epilogue of the text. An earlier draft of this paper is read at the Oleg F. Akimushkin Memorial Conference held on 19 February 2018 at the Institute of Oriental Manuscripts of the Russian Academy of Sciences. My best thanks are addressed to Dr. Youli A. Ioannesyan (Institute of Oriental Manuscripts, St. Petersburg) for organising this conference and including my presentation in the programme.
- Abdullaeva, F. (2013), “The Persian manuscript collection of St. Petersburg University: Gotwald's curse?”, in: Kerr, R. M. & Milo, Th. (eds.), Writings and Writing from Another World and Another Era: Investigations in Islamic Text and Script in Honour of Dr. Januarius Justus Witkam, Professor of Codicology and Palaeography of the Islamic World at Leyden University, Cambridge: Archetype, pp. 1—23.
- Awhadi Balyani, Taqi al-Din Muhammad (1364/1985), Sorme-ye Soleymani [The Kohl of Soleymān], Modabberi, M. (ed.), Tehran: Markaz-e Nashr-e Daneshgahi.
- Azarkina, M., Obraztsov, A. & Slesarev, T. (2018), “Ottoman manuscripts from Kazan of M. Gorky Research Library St. Petersburg State University”, Manuscripta Orientalia, vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 26—34.
- Sadeghi, A. A. (1389/2010), “Bargi az Sorme-ye Soleymani” [“A page from theSorme-ye Soleymani”],Farhangnevisi, vol. 3, pp. 249—251.
- Sahib Ghani, ‘A. (1916), Tadhkirat al-Shu‘ara[Biography of Poets], Shirvani, M. M. (ed.), Aligarh: lithographic edition.
- Salemann, C. & Rosen, V. (1888), Indices alphabetici codicum manu scriptorum persicorum, turcicorum, arabicorum qui in Bibliotheca Imperialis Literarum Universitatis Petropolitanae adservantur(Spisok persidskim, turetsko-tatarskim i arabskim rukopisjam biblioteki I. SPb. Universiteta) [Catalogue of Persian, Turko-Tatar and Arabic Manuscripts of the Library of the Imperial SPb University], St. Petersburg.
- Salemann, C. (1884), “Recension zu: P. de Lagarde, Persische Studien[Abhandlungen der historisch-philologischen Classe der königlichen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften zu Göttingen, Band XXXI], Göttingen, 1884”, Literatur-Blatt für orientalische Philologie, band 2, Leipzig, pp. 74—86.
- Tagirjanov, A. T. (1962), Opisanie tadzhikskix i persidskix rukopisej Vostochnogo otdela biblioteki LGU, t. 1: Istorija, biografii, geografija[Description of the Tajik and Persian Manuscripts of the Oriental Department of the Library of Leningrad State University, vol. 1: History, Biographies,Geography], Leningrad: Izdatel'stvo Leningradskogo Universiteta.
Received by the Editorial Board:12.03.2018